Friday, November 21, 2008

Chor.ionic B.ump

The blob has a name. Not that it matters because nobody has ever heard of or seen one, including the first perinatologist we saw this week. The second perinatologist had seen 2 others in his 30 year career.
There has been one journal article published about the blob, and the abstract was pretty discouraging with a live birth rate of 43%. However, I bought the full text of the article and found that most of those pregnancies ended before a heartbeat was seen on u/s. The cause and effect is unclear. The study says a heartbeat is a good prognostic sign for the pregnancy, but in the study there were 2 cases of second trimester fetal demise (at 17 and 18 weeks)
The study is tiny (N of 15) but its the only one out there. The peri's say they've read the same one and its all anyone really has to go by.

I'm 9 weeks 2 days today. Now they're saying that if I get to 12-14 weeks with no significant bleeding that we should be ok. I'm concerned about what happens when the placenta becomes fully functional. I asked Carleton (Peri #2 looks just like Carleton from The Fresh Prince, but sadly would not do the Carleton dance for us) what he thought would happen, and he told me didn't know but he felt optimistic.

If anyone's interested, I can post pictures of the evolution of the blob, though I don't have the 6 week picture because I was so convinced it was over that I didn't want a picture. I hesitate because though there is a blob in the picture, there is also a baby and this is an infertility blog, afterall.

Interestingly, in the journal article, there were MRI images of the blob that were taken because of suspicion of a molar pregnancy. Apparently they are very similar in appearance in the early stages.


This limbo place is hard. I'm starting to feel ready to commit to being pregnant, but its scary. We made appointments to start interviewing midwives, which can either be seen as tempting fate or as thinking positively. At this point, I think its too late to try to stay disconnected. We've seen and heard the baby too many times. If we lose it now, it will be a real loss, not just a bump in the road (pun not intended)

Next appointment is in 2 weeks for another "viability scan", doesn't that term inspire confidence?!?

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a good hoper. I'll send some hope up for you & the bump.

November 21, 2008 1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for the ambiguity--what a hard place to be. Hoping for you that all continues to go well through the coming weeks.

November 21, 2008 3:40 PM  
Blogger Lut C. said...

I'm just catching up here, to find you're PG and unfortunately have already stumbled onto rare complications. :-(
Limbo is one step up from dire. I hope it continues in the right direction from here. Good luck!

November 21, 2008 3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh. the ambiguity sucks. but at least there is an answer?
I will raise my banner of hope, and carry it high for you my friend.
much much love,

November 22, 2008 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keeping fingers crossed over here. hoping that everything keeps going well for the duration. i wish you didn't have to deal with this at all.

November 24, 2008 11:06 AM  
Blogger SassyCupcakes said...

I'm thinking lots of good thoughts and am in the optimistic camp with Carleton.

I really hope things go well and the blob behaves itself. Take care.

November 25, 2008 11:55 PM  
Blogger tonya said...

I will keep the hope up for you. It's hard to pick just one or two things to wish for for you, but I do hope the bump stays under control and that you continue to see that glorious heartbeat. I continue to keep you in my thoughts.

November 29, 2008 9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and hoping that you can post an update soon to let us know how you are doing.

December 19, 2008 8:49 AM  
Blogger Milenka said...

Just checking in and hoping you're okay.

February 09, 2009 10:45 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

Just thinking about you. I hope you and you're family are okay. Hang in there.

February 25, 2009 8:51 AM  
Blogger SassyCupcakes said...

It's been so long. How are you?

March 02, 2009 4:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delurking to let you know that I was thinking of you and hope that you are okay.

March 04, 2009 1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are you doing? I still check your site often and hope the best for you.

March 20, 2009 3:51 PM  

Post a Comment