Thursday, August 21, 2008

Miscellanea

Opk is just now, finally, positive. M gets back from a 3 day trip late tonight. I told him to take his pants off in the car so that we don't waste any time. And apparently the 3 times we had forced, quickie ttc sex while G watched Curi0us Ge0rge in the 24 hours before his trip were a waste of time and preseed.
Its hard to remember that for some people, trying to get pregnant is fun.

My sister is in the hospital with contractions. She is 23w3d. The contractions don't appear to be causing any cervical change but they are keeping her in the hospital anyway, possibly until the babies are born. That seems a bit extreme to me, but what do I know?

I'm on call for 2 births in the next month, just as a doula. I've started to pick up some clients, not because I really wanted to go back to work, but because we're very worried about M's job and we need the money.

M is an airline pilot and the airline industry as a whole is not doing well and most airlines, his included, are furloughing pilots. He is safe from the first round, but just barely. If there is another round of furloughs, he will lose his job. As he is the sole income provider for our family, we're very worried.
The plan for now, is to reduce/eliminate all consumer debt and after that, to save as much money as possible. He's looking for another job already, but so is everyone else.
.
Before G was born, I never really worried about money. I always knew that I/we would be able to figure something out, and we'd lived poor before, we could do it again. But now, its different. With the possible loss of M's job and income looming, its really hit me that without M, I have no way to provide G with the things he needs. Working as a midwife is pretty much out of the question, with the completely unpredictable hours, low income potential and zero benefits.

I think more and more about going to nursing school. I don't really think I would like being an RN, but at least you can always get a job. My mom is an RN, as well as several friends and almost none of them like their jobs. The program is also 2 years of no income and lots of time away from the family-not to mention the financial cost. Of course, if I get pregnant, that will complicate things too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lut C. said...

Sorry to hear you're worried about finances, especially when you have other things on your mind.

August 22, 2008 12:51 PM  
Blogger tonya said...

It sucks to worry about jobs and money. That's where we were the last two years, and I know how hard it is. Hang in there, and I hope things start working out in your favor (and that you catch that egg!).

August 22, 2008 9:22 PM  
Blogger tonya said...

P.S. I have been wanting to go to nursing school, but the same obstacles hold me up that you mentioned-- that, and the programs here are all impacted and it takes most people a year or two just to get in to start the nursing portion of classes.

I am thinking about your sister, and hoping the contractions go away soon

August 22, 2008 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment